Thursday 7 April 2011

07/04/2011

Yesterday I looked at the marathon training plan which has sat in my bag for the last three months, I had planned to follow it religiously but I never actually started using it. My plan was to run about 50km per week and to do progressively longer runs once a week. This I have done but I thought it might be an idea to see how many 20 mile runs the plan suggested, there was only one in the plan and it was to be done in the 11th week of training (out of 14). I’m now only in the 9th week, so I’ve done it two weeks early. I’m not sure whether that’s a good or bad thing. I’ll have to make sure that I get a couple more longish runs in including at least one half-marathon aiming for 1h50. That shouldn’t be a problem and I know that I do enough speed work over the week with every 10km now being under 50 minutes and the intervals at the gym. All in all the training has gone well, I hope I’ve done enough. As I’ve said before the fact that I can run 20.5 miles must mean that my training has been effective as the furthest I had run before that was 15 miles and I had only ever done that twice.

Last night I thought a little 10km was in order so off I went with slightly protesting legs and I must admit that the first 2.5km lap was hard and I was worried it was slow. It wasn’t and I felt better after each lap, after a sprint finish I came home in 46:56 which was very pleasing and today no real aches. I think that tonight, if I get home in time, perhaps a 14km might be in order or possibly an 11km. The problem is that I’m rubbish at slowing down on the shorter distances, the training programme had plenty of ‘easy 6 mile’ run’s in it but if it’s 10km then I’m not going to be happy if it takes more than 50 minutes and actually now I’m annoyed if it’s over 47!

No comments:

Post a Comment