Wednesday 6 April 2011

06/04/2011

I went for my planned 5km recovery run on Monday night which was fine but the next day I wondered whether I should not have had a day off instead. My thighs were aching more on Tuesday morning than they had been on Monday and my left calf also felt tight and sore. So with slight trepidation I went to the gym last night with a view to just having a little jog on the treadmill and then powerplate, however once I was on the treadmill and I had started my warm up I felt good so I did my normal 6km of intervals and then 1km of running progressively quicker. I followed this up with weights and then powerplate and today other than a little soreness in the knees and the left calf being a little tight I’m fine.

The 33km run on Sunday showed that I’m capable of running a marathon and that’s really important to me, to know that I can run the distance before I start. How much of that is in my head I’m not sure but there’s definitely something to be said for winning the mental battle with the race before it’s begun. Up until now I’ve done it by going out and running the distance in training, that was fine for 10k and half-marathon but clearly running a training marathon is not a good idea. However I know that I’m going to be ok, I think I’ll take some jelly beans or something to eat along the way to try and ward off the onset of ‘The Wall’. Having said that I’m convinced that a great part of ‘The Wall’ is mental. I was worried that I might hit it at 20 miles but I didn’t I was fine so now I’m confident that as long as I eat peanut butter toast for breakfast I’ll be fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment